Sep 13, 2008

October Selection

Greetings MBC,
Below are four suggested titles for October (although I'm tempted to go back to the Hunter Thompson offering from last month). Comments/notes are brief as I'm confident of an Andrew 'book-selection-coup'...

- Independence Day by Richard Ford (1996 PEN/Faulkner; Pulitzer). MBC "sweet spot".
- The Alienist by Caleb Carr (Powells.com Staff Pick). October murder/mystery.
- The Search by John Battelle (Finalist for the Goldman Sachs/FT Business Book of the Year). Local/tech.
- Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln by Doris Kearns Goodwin (Pulitzer Prize-winning historian; #1 "New York Times bestseller). Historical/political. Violates both "length" and our "cardinal rule").

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for these interesting choices, Jeff. I am hurt by the suggestion that I might try to interpose my own preferences, and trust that no one in the MBC takes your comment as anything other than pure jest. That said, I will be making a few phone calls to interested guys between now and Wednesday...
    As to McManus' death, I think (to paraphrase Twain) your report is greatly exaggerated. I can't find any obituary online. What gives?

    ReplyDelete